Re: How do you/can you call an ActiveX VB DLL From a Stored Pocedure in Oracle8

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 00:58:01 GMT

Mark:

Interesting question. Theoretically in Oracle8, you can call an external procedure from an internal stored procedure or function. As of 8.0.x, these external procedures can only be written in C, although support for Java is planned for 8.1, I believe. I have not used this functionality, but it doesn't look too incredibly complicated from the documentation.

You would have to write a C-wrapper for your VB dll. Then you could execute the dll by executing the C-wrapper from a stored procedure. I believe the C-wrapper function would be fairly complex to code, since VB and C handle types quite differently. If you can get it to work, I would also imagine that the performance would stink.

You might want to look at simply re-writing the functionality in the C rather than VB, if it's not too complicated. You'll probably get better results.

Good luck,
Dave

mark_at_vitalworks.com wrote in message <6l9144$1k$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>I need to find out if it is possible to call an ActiveX VB DLL created in
VB5