combining several ms-sql server dbs and oracle

From: <chrisoc_at_ans.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 23:47:21 GMT

Several departments in different locations have existing MS-SQL databases, each with about 20 tables, 10 columns each, 2.5 GB of data. One focuses on segment A of a service business, one on segment B, one on C. New management takes over all these departments and locations, and calls for a union of everything into "one database so we can track how we're doing across the board". Sound familiar? Proposed is an Oracle RDB on Solaris that will take feeds in and out from all those smaller, local databases. Reports can thus be produced centrally. Trends can be analyzed and resource targeted to greatest need.

I would like to hear experience stories from folks who've tackled this kind of situation. I am not optimistic about the longterm integrity/ concurrency picture. While it will be hard to retrain db staff onto something like Oracle Parallel or even simple Oracle replication, and give up the smaller PC-type implementations, I think that crossing product/platform/geography/departmental lines is a combination that will ultimately overwhelm the best of intentions.

If there's a better forum for this post, let me know and I will try there.

Chris O'Connor