Re: how to free idle space

From: <mnatty_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 15:26:25 -0400

Umar FArooq wrote:

> hi!
> i would like to free some space from my Oracle database without loosing
> any data (so I cannot use the truncate command). Can anyone tell me what
> steps should I follow? Do i use the DEALLOCATE clause of the ALTER TABLE
> command? How does it function? What other ways r there which would
> enable me to free extraneous space.
>
> Thx.
>
> Umar
> umar.farooq_at_cressoft.com.pk

If you're looking to reduce the database size, try RESIZEing the datafiles.
Within the database, DEALLOCATE clause is an option, wherein it deallocates those extents that were allocated but unused thus far. A more effective way to free up space would be to export the table with compress=Y, and drop the table and import it.

Hope it helps!

Nat Malupillai Received on Sat Jun 06 1998 - 14:26:25 CDT