Re: SQL*Loader Question.

From: L120bj <l120bj_at_aol.com>
Date: 03 Jun 1998 23:49:22 GMT

>SQL*Loader Question.
>From: Ashok Balakrishnan <ashok_at_aa.net>
>Date: 6/2/98 11:21 GMT
>
>Hi Everybody,
>I am using Sql*loader to load data into the Database. - Oracle 7.3.2.3
>There are 2 questions which I would request you to send your views on -
>
>1 .Even with the "UNRECOVERABLE" option, there is a lot of redo-logs
>being
> generated.
> [the data to be loaded is really large - around 2 Gigs].
>
>-> Will turning the archivelog mode to "off" before loading the data and
>then turning it
> back "on" help ? Is it different than the above "unrecoverable"
>option. ?
>
>-> Even with "unrecoverable option", does it generate redo-log entries
>for the index
> creation which may accompany the loading process.
>
>2. For Index creation during that process; which is the best method as
>far as performance
> and storage options are considered ?
>
> * At the moment we are using the Direct Path option which takes
>care of the Index
> creation itself.
>
> Will manually dropping all the indexes before the loading and then
>re-creating the
> index at the end of the loading, give better performance?
>
>Thnx in advance.
>
>AB
>
>ashok_at_aa.net

Hi,
  I think the answer to your first question lies in your second question. The redo log generation is probably caused by the index creation. This in turn answers your second question, int that manually dropping the indexes prior to the load and then manually building them, using the UNRECOVERABLE option, should remove the amount of redo generated and speed up the load process. I assume that your backup/recovery strategy is based around the use of UNRECOVERABLE since you are using it for loading. At my previous employer this was the method employed to gain maximum speed of data loading. HTH,
  Rob Received on Wed Jun 03 1998 - 18:49:22 CDT