Re: Lock question in Oracle 7.3

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 16:43:27 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Szirmai Tibor <szt_at_mail.corvex.hu> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:55:40 +0200, you wrote:

>Our company develops a large production management system, and one
>of our customers has choosen Oracle7 database server for Windows NT
>to use with it.
>We use automatic row-locking in our programs, and we need to set
>a timeout value, which controls the time that clients wait when
>they are about to access a locked table. In our system this is
>usually 3 sec.
>With Informix database server we had the chance to manage locking mode
>in a general way, with the command: SET LOCK MODE TO WAIT 3
>In Oracle it doesn't work. Our customer service in Hungary had only
>one idea: the NOWAIT option with LOCK TABLE command - but it locks
>a whole table, not only a row - and if it is possible we would like
>to modify our source code as little as possible.

select * from thetable where ... for update NOWAIT

locks only the row you are interested in -- not the whole table.

>Thanks in advance for any ideas,
>please send me email.
>
>Tibor Szirmai, dba
>Corvex Corp.
>mail: szt_at_mail.corvex.hu

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Jun 03 1998 - 11:43:27 CDT