Lock question in Oracle 7.3

From: Szirmai Tibor <szt_at_mail.corvex.hu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:55:40 +0200

Our company develops a large production management system, and one of our customers has choosen Oracle7 database server for Windows NT to use with it.
We use automatic row-locking in our programs, and we need to set a timeout value, which controls the time that clients wait when they are about to access a locked table. In our system this is usually 3 sec.
With Informix database server we had the chance to manage locking mode in a general way, with the command: SET LOCK MODE TO WAIT 3 In Oracle it doesn't work. Our customer service in Hungary had only one idea: the NOWAIT option with LOCK TABLE command - but it locks a whole table, not only a row - and if it is possible we would like to modify our source code as little as possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
please send me email.

Tibor Szirmai, dba
Corvex Corp.
mail: szt_at_mail.corvex.hu Received on Tue Jun 02 1998 - 08:55:40 CDT