Re: TEMPORARY tablespace -- what it really means

From: <mjain_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 23:29:13 GMT

Hi Mohan,

  You cannot create any object in a tablespace which is of type TEMPORARY in Oracle7 version 7.3.x.

  Oracle7 will return an error ORA-02195 if you try to create a table or anyother object in the tablespace whose contents are defined TEMPORARY.

 Oracle7 handles this type of tablespaces for optimizing the sorts user during index builds, analyzing tables and order by statements.

 This a correction which I just wanted to post and keep you posted.

HTH,
Manoj Jain
Certified Oracle DBA

==================Start of Example=======

SQL> conn system/manager_at_orcl
Connected.

SQL> create tablespace temptest temporary datafile 'E: \DB\DATABASE\temptsd1.dat' size 1M;

Tablespace created.

SQL> select * from dba_tablespaces;

TABLESPACE_NAME                INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MIN_EXTENTS
MAX_EXTENTS PCT_INCREASE
------------------------------ -------------- ----------- -----------
----------- ------------
STATUS CONTENTS
--------- ---------
SYSTEM                                  10240       10240           1
121           50

ONLINE PERMANENT
USER_DATA                               10240       10240           1
121           50

ONLINE PERMANENT
ROLLBACK_DATA                           10240       10240           1
121           50

ONLINE PERMANENT
TEMPORARY_DATA                          10240       10240           1
121           50

ONLINE PERMANENT
BKS_TEST                                10240       10240           1
121           50

ONLINE PERMANENT
TEMPTEST                                10240       10240           1
121           50

ONLINE TEMPORARY 6 rows selected.

SQL> create table testtempts_table ( name varchar(25)) tablespace temptest; create table testtempts_table ( name varchar(25)) tablespace temptest *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02195: Attempt to create PERMANENT object in a TEMPORARY tablespace

SQL>

In article <6kv114$ql3$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   cmohan_at_iname.com wrote:

> If you had done any kind of programming where you had to write a sort
routine,
> you will relate to this much easier. Any SQL that requries a SORT operation
> uses the TEMPORARY tablespace to store intermediate results of the sort.
Some