Re: hash_area_size

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 22:51:13 GMT

On Fri, 29 May 1998 15:58:49 GMT, Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org> wrote in article
><slrn6mrcdt.ta3.joelga_at_pebble.org>...
>> Example 5, page 19-53 of the Oracle8 Server Tuning Manual seems to
>show the
>> hash area is in addition to the sort area.
>
>If in doubt, don't assume the manuals are correct !

You dare doubt the Oracle Documentation, that is always right and never lies and contains all possibilities?

Heresy!

>Experiment:
> set hash_area_size =2M
> set sort_area_size = 2M
> start database
>
> run top to see size of dedicated shadow-processes
>
>a) At steady state (small create table, create index, etc. shadow
>shows 10100K
>b) Execute statement to do large sort
> shadow jumps to 12184K
>c) terminate session
>
>Repeat, but execute statement to do large hash
> shadow jumps to 12184K
>
>Repeat doing sort, then hash
> shadow is stable as 12184K
>
>Repeat doing hash then sort
> shadow is stable at 12184K
>

>It really looks as if memory allocated for sort_area_size is
>interchangeable
>with memory allocated for hash_area_size

Stupid @!#$&%^ manuals! :)

Of course, top is always right and never lies... :)

>Jonathan Lewis

Good example! Thanks!

jg
--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

or Pebble In The Sky                     http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry jgarry@nospameiq.com
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!     Remove nospam to reply.  Sorry.