Re: Large index creation GOTCHA !!!

From: Chris Hamilton <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 16:40:22 GMT

"Suresh Bhat" <suresh.bhat_at_mitchell-energy.com> wrote:

>Whenever an index is created by any Oracle user in a particular tablespace,
>it seems to me that SYS creates the index first in its default
>tablespace and then moves it to the designated tablespace.

> . . .

>EFM_HIST_IDX had reserved 70M under the segment_name 10.3 owned by OPS$XYZ.
>SCRATCH had several blocks under the same segment_name 10.3 owned by SYS.
>
>Then I got the message " unable to extend ..... in table space SCRATCH."

What is happening is that the index is SORTED first in the users designated TEMPORARY tablespace (see TEMPORARY_TABLESPACE in the DBA_USERS view), before it gets written to the actual index storage segment. The segment "10.3" owned by SYS is the actual sort occuring.

Chris

Chris Hamilton, DBA
US Army Corps of Engineers
christopher.h.hamilton_at_usace.army.mil
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 11:40:22 CDT