Re: Need help importing data.

From: <mandrew_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 16:42:41 GMT

In article <356E7659.6B678981_at_futurenet.co.uk>,   Nick Harvey <nick.harvey_at_futurenet.co.uk> wrote:

> Exporting and importing data. Is there any way to export just the data
> from an oracle table, and re-import it into a table with a different
> structure?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

The way I handle it is to use SQLLDR for the data load and an ODBC connection with Microsoft Access to import the desired Oracle table. Once the table is in Microsoft Access, you can export the data to a textfile with the specific delimiters, format, etc. Write a control file to read the data based on the new table structure and use SQL Loader to suck the data in.

Info on SQLLDR is in Oracle's Server Utility Manual, also examples of writing control files.

Or a possible simpler solution is to use INSERT INTO new_table(columns) SELECT columns FROM old_table (if that fits your specific problem)

Hope this helps