help with decode command: is there a way to include a select statement in the result of a decode function

From: dan <ramdan_at_mailexcite.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 17:36:14 GMT

i want to use the decode command but the result of the search should be a select statement

i.e. select decode(payrate, 1, 'text'

                                        2,  column name
                                        3, "a select statement with a where
                                          clause)
from labor;

is this possible
select decode(payrate, 1, 'hi'

                                  2, laborcode
                                  3, select status from stat where age = 32)
from labor;

I tried quotes around select etc nothing works any way to do it?

Dan Ramriez

ramdan_at_mailexcite.com
Development Analyst
Information Systems
Commonwealth Edison

The contents of this message express only the sender's opinion. This message does not necessarily reflect the policy or views of my employer, Commonwealth Edison. All responsibility for the statements made in this Usenet posting resides solely and completely with the sender. Received on Thu May 28 1998 - 12:36:14 CDT