Re: SQL buffer overflow.

From: Rowan McCammon <rowan_mccammon_at_nospam.amp.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:16:41 +1000

SQL >show maxdata
will show you what the value is, probably 60000.

SQL> show arraysize
will show you what value this is, probably 20.

I'm still trying to work out exactly why this problem occurs - and just what the hell arraysize and maxdata are! :-).

My current understanding is that arraysize is the number of columns that are fetched for any one fetch and maxdata is the maximum amount of data that can be fetched for any one fetch, measured in 'bits'!

I could be totally wrong in this but I've been doing some tests and it seems to point to this conclusion.

I'm willing to bet that even though your customer table doesn't have many rows it has either a large number of fields in each row or contains one or more varchar2(2000) fields in each row.

In practical terms if you have problems like this set the arraysize low and maxdata high. eg. arraysize 3, maxdata 60000.

Hope this helps,
Rowan.

--
Remove the anti-spamming thingy from my email address to reply to me.

The opinions expressed are my own and do not represent the opinions of my company. Received on Thu May 28 1998 - 01:16:41 CDT