SMON and coalescing

From: aa <aau_at_interlog.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:21:15 -0400

According to "Advanced Performance Tuning" from Oracle Press, to enable automatic coalescing by SMON you must set pctincrease as follows:

Tablespace level pctincrease = 1
Table level pctincrease = 0

(Can someone confirm this?)

Yet from my own experiments I have to set Table level pctincrease=1 for SMON to coalease automatically. The Tablespace level pctincrease setting is irrevelant.

Can someone tell me which is correct? I know you can force a coalease by Alter Tablespace Coalease.. but I want to know the setting for SMON to do this automatically. I am studying for the Oracle exam and would like to know the correct answer. Received on Mon May 25 1998 - 21:21:15 CDT