Re: How to test if Oracle is up or down???

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 22 May 1998 11:55:56 GMT

        Feel free to port the following:

#       /***********************************************************************
#       *
#       *       a korn shell script to login to oracle to see if it is up.
#       *
#       *       The 6 "set pause off" are to get you through the
#       *       request for id and passwords if the id/passwd is invalid.
#       *
#       *       If you connect to oracle, a 5 will be returned as a status
#       *       value at the shell.
#       *
#       *       The <<'EOF' tells the shell to feed the following lines to
#       *       sqlplus until the shell finds the string 'EOF'
#       *
#       ***********************************************************************/

sqlplus <<'EOF'
id/passwd
set pause off
set pause off
set pause off
set pause off
set pause off
set pause off
exit 5
EOF   if [ $? != 5 ] ; then
  echo "Could not get into oracle"
  return
fi

#       /******************** end of scipt ***********************

william.timm_at_sap-ag.de wrote:
: How can I test if Oracle is up? We are writing a NT batch script for
: some administrative tasks and we first need to check wether Oracle is
: up or down, can this be done in a NT batch script, anyone out there
: doing somthing simular.

: Thanks in advance,

: Bill Timm
: william.timm_at_sap-ag.de

--
While DSC may claim ownership of all my ideas (on or off the job), DSC does not claim any responsibility for them. Warranty expired when you opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use. Received on Fri May 22 1998 - 06:55:56 CDT