Re: Restarting program: unjustified ora-1001 cursor error!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 01:12:02 GMT

A copy of this was sent to mightymoonlord_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 21 May 1998 23:02:28 GMT, you wrote:

>Hello there
>
>I'm writing an embedded SQL pro*c program on an rs/6000 aix box.
>
>This program has got to act like a daemon, continunally running. When oracle
>closes down (usually for a nightly backup procedure ) my program has to
>handle it. I attempt to do this by trapping the error, doing a
>EXEC SQL COMMIT WORK RELEASE
>EXEC SQL CLOSE <cursor-name>
>waiting 60 minutes
>and then going back to my reconnect procedure.
>
>The reconnection works fine (assuming oracle is backup by then), and the
>EXEC SQL DECLARE cursor bit works fine, but when I actually try to *use * the
>cursor as part of the EXEC SQL FETCH statement I get the error ora-01001
>invalid cursor. I have checked the max number of cursors and the areasize
>(now obsolete) option both are fine, I also check the ORACA structure which
>shows a normal amount of cursors required (2) , 0 open and 10 maximum.

Can you show us how the code works? You mention the DECLARE and the FETCH but not the OPEN. Is it possible you are opening the cursor once (before the failure) and not reopening after connecting?

>This is really driving me mad so I would be grateful for any help. In return
>I mighty be able to help you with some of your other database/programming
>questions if you have any!
>
>Thanks
>
>Jim

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu May 21 1998 - 20:12:02 CDT