Restarting program: unjustified ora-1001 cursor error!

From: <mightymoonlord_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:02:28 GMT

Hello there

I'm writing an embedded SQL pro*c program on an rs/6000 aix box.

This program has got to act like a daemon, continunally running. When oracle closes down (usually for a nightly backup procedure ) my program has to handle it. I attempt to do this by trapping the error, doing a EXEC SQL COMMIT WORK RELEASE
EXEC SQL CLOSE <cursor-name>
waiting 60 minutes
and then going back to my reconnect procedure.

The reconnection works fine (assuming oracle is backup by then), and the EXEC SQL DECLARE cursor bit works fine, but when I actually try to *use * the cursor as part of the EXEC SQL FETCH statement I get the error ora-01001 invalid cursor. I have checked the max number of cursors and the areasize (now obsolete) option both are fine, I also check the ORACA structure which shows a normal amount of cursors required (2) , 0 open and 10 maximum.

This is really driving me mad so I would be grateful for any help. In return I mighty be able to help you with some of your other database/programming questions if you have any!

Thanks

Jim