Re: Netware as an application server running Oracle 8

From: Ken Agress <kenagress_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1998/05/15

On Thu, 14 May 1998 16:13:55 GMT, mcx_at_ix.netcom.com wrote:

<snip>

>What was missing from this second article was any discussion of the
>suitability to Netware acting as an application server, running an app
>like Oracle 8. I have heard much discussion indicating that NT is a
>better application server, where Netware's strengths lie in file and
>print sharing services.

Most of the "suitability to task" issues for NW as an app server have more to do with the paucity of developers for applications that run on NetWare. There's just not the selection out there due to the rigors involved in NLM programming. Oracle on NetWare has been around a long time, and works quite well. I've seen benchmarks that went both ways comparing Oracle on NT vs. Oracle on NW, which at the very least indicates that it runs well on NetWare.

<snip>

>P.S.: For the die-hard NT fans, I have run plenty of database
>applications under NT, and I am fully aware of it's merits. The
>project I am currently evaluating is in a Netware only shop, and must
>consider all options. Thus, I am not seeking a flame war. Thanks for
>your support.

And if you find that NT is the correct option, just deploy it with NDS for NT to make it fit better into your NetWare environment.

Ken Agress/CNE Received on Fri May 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT