Netware as an application server running Oracle 8

From: <mcx_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1998/05/14

I have just finished reading two articles which bring up questions to me about using Netware 4.11 (or 5 when it arrives) as a database server.

First is the recent announcement that Oracle 8 for Netware will soon be shipping as a part of a standard purchase. But Netware 4.11/5 and get a full version of Oracle 8 with 5 user licenses. This move is obvoiusly designed to help Novell compete with BackOffice, as well as furthering the Oracle install base.

Second is an article in the latest LAN Times, which suggests that Netware can run more efficiently on equivalent hardware than NT, as Netware is free from the need to provide support for the GUI, graphics, and high-end display issues, leaving the hardware to do the job of a SERVER, not a workstation/server combo.

What was missing from this second article was any discussion of the suitability to Netware acting as an application server, running an app like Oracle 8. I have heard much discussion indicating that NT is a better application server, where Netware's strengths lie in file and print sharing services.

While there are no doubts that the architecture of the two OS's may make either better suited to a particular task, it can be reasoned that if the 'simplicity' of the Netware copnsole interface leaves the server engine to do more server-type work, that the concept may also extend to applications running on the Netware server.

I am interested in input from those who have/are running applications like Oracle or Sybase on Netware and have had good/bad experiences or opinions. I am also intersted in those opinions from those who have significant experience in BOTH Netware and NT and can make a semi-unbiased statement. My experience with Netware as a file server has been a very good one, but I am not sure as to it's merits as a database server.

Thanks in advance for yout advice.

P.S.: For the die-hard NT fans, I have run plenty of database applications under NT, and I am fully aware of it's merits. The project I am currently evaluating is in a Netware only shop, and must consider all options. Thus, I am not seeking a flame war. Thanks for your support. Received on Thu May 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT