Re: Oracle and raid

From: Mike Conant <mike_at_nospam.attaininc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 17:40:31 -0700

You can find an excellent article on using Oracle Financials on Sun in the OAUG Spring '97 Conference proceedings, paper 28, 'Capacity Testing of Oracle Applications on Sun Systems'. The paper is specific to one test configuration but some of the points can be generalized.

The conclusion regarding stripe size -- where full table scans are dominant, a large stripe size wins out small stripe size. Surprisingly even in OLTP applications the frequency of full table scans seems to make large stripe sizes more effective overall. However index access is quite different so if you have the option to setup more than one RAID for your system, configure the table tablespaces on the raid with large stripesizes and configure index tablespaces on the raid with small stripesizes (which improves random access performance via improving concurrent access).

I hope this helps...