Re: One datafile vs Several

From: Denis DORR <dorr_at_cetrel.lu>
Date: 1998/05/13

Brian Schanblatt wrote:

> hello!
> we:
> ORACLE 7.3.3.4
> AIX 4.1.2
>
> We have a 1GB tablespace spread out over 5 datafiles.
> I would like to export everything,
> drop the tablespace, recreate it with 1 large datafile
> and re-import.
>
> Is this worthwhile? Are there advantages to having one datafile
> for a tablespace instead of several?
> All suggestions welcome!
> brigo_at_idt.net
> bshan_at_ymail.yu.edu

It depends of your physical configuration :

does your box have several disks ?
do you use RAID 5 ?

Assuming you have, let's say, 3 disks where you can put your datafiles and no RAID, you can spread your tablespace over 3 files and put one on each disk to (possibly) increase your I/O performance.

--
HTH.

dorr_at_cetrel.lu