Re: Q:Tuning of DB with many objects

From: Reinhard Bergander <reinhard_bergander_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 23:56:15 +0100

mpir_at_compuserve.com schrieb:

> How big is your SGA? With the numbers you show, I would expect it to be
> at
> least 160MB.

SGA size is 100 MB; I think you're right, something abot 200MB i have in mind, too

> We run 300 processes on systems about the same size (HP not DEC) and get
>
> acceptable performances, but they only have about 1500 tables (plus
> etc......still about 1/3 your count, but the db is 500GB+)
>
> Why 4 connections per user?

Good question. I don't know much about the application yet. It's a kind of Ora.Applications (general ledger, etc.) and was formerly based on indexed sequential file system. I think the company has done a one2one migration of the original files (e.g. one table for each client insetad of one table "clients"). The four database connections could have been something like a "file open" or so..? It's difficult to do some tuning without detailed knowledge of the system.(and it will be REALLY expensive) This is also not a client/server system! The ora processes are using the beqeath protocoll. So it seems to be a terminal application (but GUI front end on NT clients!)

> What are the users doing-if OLTP, then check the SQL, my first reaction
> is
> that you should be ok.) If OLAP, multiple instances won't help, because
> they
> are all still doing I/O.

It's OLTP.
So more RAM and maybe more CPUs could be help!? (like anywhere else) I suggested my client to meet the compay who installed the application to get more information about it. Maybe next week I can tell you more about it....

Thanx in advance

reinhard Received on Wed May 06 1998 - 17:56:15 CDT