Re: Unix File System vs. Raw Devices

From: Jgitomer <jgitomer_at_aol.com>
Date: 06 May 1998 03:16:20 GMT

Hi Scott,

One item in your post disturbed me.

>In Sybase on Unix, you always did all of your device/database creation on
>raw devices because the Unix FS buffers its writes thereby eliminating any
>guarantee that your log writes actually made it to disk.

Oracle caches everything and only writes to disk when it is good and ready. If you ar running a production system be sure to have an adequate UPS for the server. If not, sooner or later, you will find yourself recovering from the last backup.

Regards

Jerry

Jerry Gitomer Since I know how to spell DBA, I became one. Received on Tue May 05 1998 - 22:16:20 CDT