Re: Control file questions

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:56:27 GMT

On 27 Apr 1998 11:51:24 GMT, "Martin Krivak" <martin.krivak_at_berit.cz> wrote:

>1/ What is the exact content of control files. There's vague information in
>Oracle books.

Control file contains only the information (all sorts of it) about database files and redo log threads/groups/members.

>2/ Does all V$ tables get information from a control file?

Defenitely not. Some V$ tables are available before controlfile is read (i.e. database is in NOMOUNT state). Some of these V$ tables are V$CONTROLFILE, V$PARAMETER, V$ACCESS, V$VERSION, V$SGA, V$BGPROCESS, V$COMPATIBILITY.... Most informations (but not all) for these tables are geathered from the initialisation file (initSID.ora).

Even when the control file is open (i.e. database is in MOUNT or OPEN state), the vaste majority of information for these V$ tables are not from the control file, but are gathered as a result of all kinds of events that are happening while the database is running and are stored in those V$ tables, not in the controlfile.

>3/ Is there any utility to read control file when the database is closed
>and V$tables inaccessable?

Don't know about this one.

>Martin Krivak

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Mon Apr 27 1998 - 15:56:27 CDT