Re: What is sgadef.dbf? - can't connect to listener

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:55:43 +0200

>I have a new oracle installation on HPUX 10.20, Oracle 7.3.3.
>The database is running fine and I can access it locally but cannot
>get to it via sqlnet. I can tnsping it ok, but with sqlplus over
>sqlnet, I get an error about trying to open the sgadef.dbf file. The
>instance has the name "open", and there is a file sgadefopen.dbf in the
>dbs directory. How do I get oracle to use the proper sgadef file?

This file contains information about the SGA (System Global Area) of the Oracle instance. It is created at the instance startup. Explaining shortly, it is required to start the server process while opening SQL*Net connection or connecting using ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID shell variables (with SQL*Plus, Server Manager /etc.). The most probable reasons of your problem are: 1. Wrong (misspelled ?) ORACLE_HOME path in listener.ora file.

   So SQL*Net listener may seek sgadefopen.dbf file in wrong directory. 2. Permissions problem. For example, you might start the SQL*Net 2

   listener as different user than Oracle instance.

HTH, Piotr
pkol_at_otago.gda.pl Received on Mon Apr 27 1998 - 10:55:43 CDT