Re: Forms3 and SQL*Net

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 21:08:16 GMT

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:44:56 -0400, "Les Middlestadt" <lmiddlestadt_at_cga-ontario.org> wrote:

>I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a solution to the following problem:
>
>1. We are currently running Oracle Server for Netware 7.2.
>
>2. We are running Forms 3 applications on Windows95 clients and connecting
>using SQL*Net 1.1
>
>3. We are planning a migration to Oracle Workgroup Server for WindowsNT 7.3.
>
>Our problem is that OWS NT does not seem to support SQL*Net V1.1. It is no
>longer bundled with the software and attempts to make SQL*Net Server 1.1
>from previous versions of OWS NT run on 7.3 have failed. Our long term plan
>is to upgrade all of our Forms 3 applications to Forms 5 (and SQL*Net 2.X)
>but in the the short term I need a way to make Forms 3 work against a 7.3
>database.
>
>I understand that Oracle no longer supports SQL*Net 1.1 and Forms 3 so I am
>looking for an un-official or un-supported solution that I can use in the
>interim while we finish migrating our applications.
>
>Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I had OWS 7.2 on NT with both SQL*Net V1 and V2.2 installed. When I decided to upgrade to 7.3 I uninstalled SQL*Net V2.2 but left the V1 installed. Then I upgraded the server and installed SQL*Net V2.3. As a result, I have both V2.3 and V1 of SQL*Net installed and both are working. I'm using TCP/IP, don't know how it behaves with named pipes.

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Sat Apr 25 1998 - 16:08:16 CDT