Re: Partitioning -- good? cost?

From: John Gassman <gassmanj_at_netset.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:29:55 -0400

I couldn't live without them! I run 8.0.3 on Windows NT and I have a huge table (> 40 GB) that I need to contain 'rolling' data. Previously I had to delete out old records (this took FOREVER) or periodically truncate the table and start over. With partitions, I can add a new partition for a new day and drop the oldest day's partition - takes about a minute. Plus, paritioning in Oracle8 is automatic - you don't have to figure out which partition the data belongs in. Paritioning also helps speed up access if partitions are divided by the same criteria as your queries - eg: date - Oracle knows it only has to look in certain partitions and can skip the rest.

As far as I know, partitioning is included with Oracle8 at no additional cost.

John Gassman
LCI International