could i have more than two database instances?

From: Joelle Tan <tjoelle_at_tm.net.my>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:35:38 +0800

Dear helpers,

Well, is it possible to have more than two database instances on a server? For example, 'ORCL' (default), 'instance1' and 'instance2'. If yes, how am I supposed to configure the LISTENER.ORA file in order to start these instances at once?? I managed to start the default (ORCL) and 'instance1' by changing the (SID_NAME = SID) in LISTENER.ORA file to (SID_NAME =instance1). Then followed on by executing the following command:

LSNRCTL > Start Listener

By doing this, i could only use 'Instance1' as the Service Name in Login Information Dialogue Box in order to access any Oracle Enterprise Manager.

Or in another case, leave the 'Service' textbox blank. In this case i am logging on to the deafult instance = orcl.

From the documentation, it says we could configure multiple network listeners, each for a specific database and all the listeners on a single machine share one LISTENER.ORA file. Does this statement mean that there’s strictly no two or more LISTENER configuration files in a server?

Thank you
Jo Received on Thu Apr 23 1998 - 20:35:38 CDT