waited too long for row cache enqueue lock

From: joan arsenault <joan.arsenault_at_cpmx.saic.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:38:21 -0400

I have/had a site that occasionally locks up and is core dumping with the 'waited too long for row cache enqueue lock'. (they had to shutdown abort in 7.1.4) and so far have been unable to find out (thru books and some interface with Oracle corp )that, IF it's a parameter problem, what to make bigger. Yesterday I suggested they increase database block buffers by 20% (to 10,000), and enqueue resources from 1220 to 1720. Redo logs weren't switching over (presumably because they weren't doing anything). utllockt wouldn't run/finish. We couldn't even look at almost anything in the database because queries, etc would not finish. The machine has more memory than we are currently using and the SGA is about 140M. Solaris 2.3. There were 'a lot' of users logged on and the appls typically reference a lot of tables, I understand. (definitely not an OLTP system)
Would appreciate any ideas of what I should be looking for or where to go for more info. I have looked at Oracle Press's backup and recovery, Oracle's DBA book (7) and the Orange Tuning book (not an Oracle press book)
thanks
Joan Received on Thu Apr 23 1998 - 10:38:21 CDT