Re: Developing Oracle applications with C++

From: Jon VanHemelryck <rev_at_maui.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 08:29:16 -1000

Here's some C++/Oracle info from a book I've been reading. OCI appears to be needed to work with Oracle 8 objects, but you may not want to work with the Oracle 8 features.

ORACLE 8 DESIGN TIPS...O'REILLY & ASSOCIATES INC. DAVE ENSOR & IAN STEVENSON           pg 112 To gain full access to the Oracle 8 server object capabilities, the code must use OCI [Oracle Call Interface]. OCI is a low level interface to

          Oracle that many predicted would be discontinued since the precompiler is quicker and easier. However OCI has always given the programmer

          more control.
          pg 113 OCI is a bit daunting for those who have never used it.  And you
would probably wanto to think twice about imposing it on a team of
          inexperienced developers jus so you can exploit the O8 facilities that
are not supported by any other tool!
          pg 113 Despite it's complexity, OCI offers a number of significant
technical advantages for software projects.  We expect the software tools
          industry will use it rather than ODBC for Oracle specific layers.
          Conlusion pg??  We believe that the scarcity of tools that support the
O8 object featrures will lead ot a slow early uptake of these features.  Most
          development projects simply can't afford the extra time involved in