Re: Demo *really* needs 1.4gb?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 17 Apr 1998 14:01:31 -0700

In article <353791ea.771004_at_news1.occa.home.net>, JRStern <JRStern_at_primalsys.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:10:25 -0400, "Van Messner"
><vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:
>> I don't know what version you have, and of course the install will
>>depend on whether you take all the help files, the sample database etc.
>
>FWIW, Version 8. Let's assume I take everything.
>
>>I've
>>installed 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 at various times from the sample disks and
>>none of them has ever come close to 1.3g. One 7.2 install sits on a 500M
>>drive along with a fair amount of other software.
>
>Maybe they purposely fattened it for 8?

My Solaris O8 install guide says 600M vs 700M for O7. Not a significant diff in the great scheme of things. User executables may be 3X bigger in O8.

>> Why not try a custom install and see how much space each part is
>>listed as using? You don't have to install the parts you'll never use.
>
>Didn't see that, but it's such a good idea, I'd better look again.

Again, those estimates can be highly misleading.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Fri Apr 17 1998 - 16:01:31 CDT