Re: Demo *really* needs 1.4gb?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 17 Apr 1998 11:46:10 -0700

In article <3536ace2.0_at_news8.kcdata.com>, Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:
> I don't know what version you have, and of course the install will
>depend
>on whether you take all the help files, the sample database etc. I've
>installed 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 at various times from the sample disks and
>none of them has ever come close to 1.3g. One 7.2 install sits on a 500M
>drive
>along with a fair amount of other software.
> Why not try a custom install and see how much space each part is
>listed as using? You don't have to install the parts you'll never use.
>Van
>
>JRStern wrote in message <353694ba.14498625_at_news1.occa.home.net>...
>>When I go to install Oracle from the demo disk, it says it needs
>>1.4gb. Is this for real?
>>
>>I know Microsoft's SBS product asks for 1.3gb, won't install if it
>>doesn't see 1.3gb, but only actually uses about 300mb. I figure it's
>>some kind of weird macho thing.
>>
>>I have a new disk coming so I'll have the space anyway, but wonder
>>what it will truly take.

If you install everything including docs, it's about 700M plus data files. I'm not familiar with the demo, but I could easily imagine a few hundred M of data (once in Oracle it uses a lot more room than when flat). In the normal installation, you can pick and choose what to install, but with all the dependencies it adds up amazingly fast. The size estimates shown in the install program can be very misleading (small) because of the dependencies. You generally want to put the distribution on a separate disk from the data, and spread data and indices across disks.

Disks are cheaper than people, but yes, this is a bit ridiculous.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Fri Apr 17 1998 - 13:46:10 CDT