Re: massive delete

From: <harveyrc_at_tracor.bloomington.in.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:51:39 GMT

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:41:36 GMT, ramdan_at_mailexcite.com (joe) wrote:

>I have had similar situation. What I did was have the DBA index the field
>that was part of the delete and also set up a very large rollback seqment that
>we accessed thru - set transaction use rolback seqment xxxx - command.
>Deleted 100,000 rows in few minutes (Granted we use a SUN Enterprise 6000
>server with 10 CPUs and 4 gigs of ram, but is ran much faster than before we
>made the changes
>
>ramdan_at_mailexcite.com

>> day

You may want to do a couple of things. use hints to tell the server how best to proceed with the delete. use plsql to commit each, or a portion, of your deletes. use the analyze statment to make sorts go faster. otherwise You will be using a large temp segment to sort your delete and a large rollback segment to hold the changes before the commit. Received on Wed Apr 15 1998 - 09:51:39 CDT