Re: Replication

From: Andy Tasker <andy_at_spirocom.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:15:20 +0100

I've worked on a very successful project using oracle replication.

It was a production recording system and customer sales. The master site was the sales site, and each production site had a small server, with only the data needed to run production (using horizontal and vertical partitioning).

We predominately used updatable snapshots, refreshing (and pushing transactions) at rates between daily and every 5 mins.

Two things that should be planned from the beginning :

Ensure that the data model is approriate for replication. Ensure that the application will not cause any conflictions.

This was implemented in 7.1.6, 7.2.3 and 7.3.3 for different customers.

Oracle 8 replication of updatable snapshots is much more effiecent.

Andy Tasker
Spirocom Analysts Ltd.