Re: Listeners, Instances, Ports, ...

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 9 Apr 1998 11:26:50 -0700

In article <6ghir0$b9r$1_at_gte2.gte.net>, JRStern <JRStern_at_gte.net> wrote:
>On 8 Apr 1998 17:48:01 -0700, joelga_at_pebble.ml.org (Joel Garry) wrote:
>>You need to read the concepts manual and get a clear idea of tablespaces,
>>segments, schemata, and so on.
>
>I'd love a good overview book, but the ones I've seen so far do not
>clarify anything. Let me see what we got.

I'd advise springing for some hardcopies. You likely have everything on cd. It's not so easy to curl up on the couch with a computer.

>> You should get an experienced
>>DBA to help you set things up correctly, before things blow up.
>
>I'm not setting stuff up, or I'd already have blown up enough to know
>more than I currently do. We have a couple of somewhat experienced

A while back, I solicited dba horror stories for a page I'll be putting up. One of the stories described a similar situation - somewhat experienced users, not official dba's. The person telling the story decided it was such a pending horror, he didn't want to get involved. The thing that freaked me out was how close it described a situation I had just walked into - although it wasn't the same place. The only difference was, I like a challenge and stuck it out. But it put me in a dilema - I'm anonymizing stories that are so common, people may think they know where it occured, or think I'm just telling my own stories.

>users, but not official dba's. I am shocked that this is not enough,
>but apparently it's not. We have more expert dba's coming in to help,
>and I'm trying to calibrate even their levels of expertise.

There have been several heated threads on judging DBA's. At some point you just have to trust they know what they are doing. Methodology is much more important than memorization of facts IMO.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Thu Apr 09 1998 - 13:26:50 CDT