Re: a sad story for Oracle DBAs

From: allen lucas <alucus_at_concentric.net>
Date: 1998/04/03

We have multiple NT/Oracle machines set up.

When configuring our machines and planning for new instances, we use the following guidelines for RAM:

		NT - 48 Mb
		PMON - 2 Mb per user session
		Oracle Engine - 48 Mb

We currently have very small database instances, (700 Mb) and we run quite easily with 10 Mb/instance plus the above requirements.

Memory is cheap, and I never heard anybody say they purchased too much RAM. In fact, I have been very glad in the past when the RAM was there to expand my SGA when unplanned growth occurred.

Compaq has a system sizer on their website which computes the required RAM, Disk Space, etc... It comes in pretty handy and gives a reference for your proposals.

Good luck...

\\||// Indecision is the key to flexibility / \ []--[] Allen Lucas @ /\ @ Chicago Bridge & Iron {----} Plainfield, Il 60544 ^^ alucus_at_concentric.net