NT Memory Weirdness

From: Paul Bennett <bennett_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: 1998/04/01

I have been running Oracle 8 On NT for two days. Approx 80 connections with a shared pool of 18,000,000 and db_block_buffers of 6000 block size 4096. pre_page_sga is also set. log buffer is 1,000,000

NT reports the oracle processes has a working set of 80 megs, and is using 90 megs of the swap file. If the SGA is only about 50 megs of this, what is the other memory being used for? What code or data structures are in that 90 megs of memory that has been paged out. The server has 128 megs of RAM in the machine and it is the primary application.

How much memory does each connection take up? Is there a table that I can query in Oracle that will tell me how much memory Oracle thinks it is using up for each data structure.

I am interested in all this information because I don't want the oracle processes to swap at all. The SGA is small enough currently to keep it in memory (in relation to the amount of memory in the machine), but that 90 megs of swap file use concerns me. Maybe some of the SGA is being swapped, in which case I will want to reduce its size.

I would like to give this server more db_block_buffers due to some research with db_block_lru_extended_statistics, but I am not convinced that the entire SGA is in physical memory currently.

Comments, questions, and answer to all this rambling are welcome!