Re: OWA Web Listener 2.1 on NT hangs ...

From: Matthias Suencksen <msuencks_at_marcant.de>
Date: 1998/04/03

Ken Werk wrote:

> We are experiencing the same problem only with an extremely busy site
> running six listeners on three servers. We have listeners exhibiting the
> exact symptoms you describe after an hour or so. Our site has to handle
> about 750,000 hits (including gifs) a day. We've found that if you run 2

we have "only" 12,000 hits a day

> web listeners on the same server they don't lock up at the same time. We
> have a HydraWeb load balancer sending requests to each of the lisenters
> based on the response time of a web-based database query. We are using
> monitoring software to restart any server when it detects both listeners
> locked up.

I also thought of a "solution" like that. Another solution for us could be installing the (SCO) "owa" CGI-Pgogram on our main linux web server. It's quite fast, but I have not tried it in a real production evironment.

> Can this problem have something to do with the rate at which TCP
> connections are released?

I would be nice if the the WRB would decide to restart itself from time to time (maybe it does ?). I know that e.g. Apache web server processes only have a limited "lifetime" in order to avoid any memory problems even if there are leaks.

Unfortunately the pure CGI version of OWA is way too slow on NT, isn't it.

My favourite solution would be to have a patch from oracle :-)

> Any ideas?

Do you use the "T"hread or "P"rocess option with the WRB ? I have now switched to "T"hread for and it did not lock up for some time (lets knock on wood ;-)

Matthias