Renaming Tablespaces

From: <cheryl_ploegstra_at_chugachelectric.com>
Date: 1998/04/01

Has anyone had any luck renaming a tablespace in Oracle (7.3, AIX)? I've got a  database where the main datafile has the same name as the database itself, which makes it's confusing when the database is cloned to a new name.

Here's what I've tried, but so far I've been unsuccessful.
- Made a cold backup of the database;

The result is that I've got a new datafile data01.dbf under my old tablespace name. The DATA1 tablespace has disappeared. So basically I've just managed to rename my datafile which I could do much easier with the alter tablespace rename datafile command.

Am I making this way too difficult? Or have I missed a step? Or is this impossible and I'll have to move the tablespace objects manually.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheryl Ploegstra
DBA, Chugach Electric