Re: Limit on the number of datafiles

From: <abeloni_at_hstern.com.br>
Date: 1998/03/21

In article <6erm0i$n4_at_ringding.cs.umd.edu>,   tlam_at_cs.umd.edu (Terry Heung-Man Lam) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If during database creation, I don't specify maxdatafiles but I specify
> it in the init.ora file (i.e. db_files = 100) after the database is created,
> what will be the upper limit for the number of datafiles? Is there an
 internal
> default limit on the number which will overwrite init.ora if the internal
> default limit is smaller than db_files = 100?
>
> My environment is Oracle 7.3.4 and Sun Solaris 2.5.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -Terry

The maxdatafiles parameter is stored on the database control files and the default value is 30. This value will overwrite the value of db_files on the init.ora.

To change the default value of maxdatafiles:

1) - Connect to the database with Sqlplus or Server Manager;
2) - Type: SQL> Alter database backup controlfile to trace.
3) - Edit the trace file generated by the command above and change the
maxdatafiles parameter to a higher value;
4) - Shutdown your database;
5) - Start up with the nomount option;
6) - Run the trace file to update the maxdatafiles on control files;
7) - Open the database.

Best regards and good luck !

Antonio Belloni