Re: Vote NO: Comp.databases.oracle.server.java

From: Phil Bradley <pbradley_at_pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1998/03/21

stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu wrote:

> Phil,
>
> Giving figures on how fast Java is growing and stating how important you think
> Java will be in the future is NOT a good reason to start a new newsgroup.

So what is a good reason? I would have thought that a subject of widespread interest where there is limited knowledge would be a good candidate.

> A newsgroup should be created if there is a need for the group based on the
> numbers of articles that would naturally fall within its scope.

So the justification is push. If enough articles get posted on any news group that would fall into the scope of the designated news group, then that is the justification. Bear with me, I have no idea of the rationale used to justify news groups.

> As for Java on Oracle, it may be big in the future, but currently, there are
> very few articles posted in any Oracle newsgroup that would fall specifically
> under the Oracle/Java umbrella. Of your many posts regarding Java, I could
> only find one that fit this category.

I see many posts on Oracle/Java although almost all client-server.

> If this newsgroup is created, I believe it will either be little used, or
> else most articles will crossposted there only because it has Java in its
> name.

I believe it will be used, although I agree it may be a little premature (3 months?). Is there a mechanism to get rid of unused news groups? If so, how does it work?

BTW is there anything we can do stop cross posting. It just clutters up news groups and is almost always not justified.

And finally, (in a democracy) people get to vote for what they want in the future. Which is what I suggest people do.

Phil Bradley Received on Sat Mar 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CST