Re: Vote NO: Comp.databases.oracle.server.java

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/21

In article <3514582D.FA5DB912_at_pacific.net.sg>, Phil Bradley <pbradley_at_pacific.net.sg> wrote:

>stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu wrote:
>

>I believe it will be used, although I agree it may be a little premature (3
>months?). Is there a mechanism to get rid of unused news groups? If so, how does
>it work?

It varies. If the "unused" newsgroup happens to be the parent directory of the new groups, it might never go away. See comp.databases.oracle for one example. And how is "unused" defined? Some college students have been known to take over groups by force - search dejanews for alt.fan.karl-malden.nose and "Meow" for an egregious example. Or see netscum.org.

The news system has grown by evolution, so has lots of evolutionary dead-ends and strangenesses inherent in it. It's amazing that it works at all. In fact, it died several years ago but no one noticed.

>BTW is there anything we can do stop cross posting. It just clutters up news
>groups and is almost always not justified.

Moderation. But that is worse. There is no moderation in moderation.

>And finally, (in a democracy) people get to vote for what they want in the
>future. Which is what I suggest people do.

What makes you think this is a democracy? Oligarchy in the guise of anarchy. The secret is to be part of the oligarchy.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com