Re: Naming Convention for Columns

From: <r.j.yates_at_open.ac.uk>
Date: 1998/03/18

In article <ygek99te6b2.fsf_at_cariboulake.com>,   Michael Leo <mleo_at_cariboulake.com> wrote:
> Richard Yates <r.j.yates_at_open.ac.uk> writes:
> > Pshaw, you think that's something? I'd personally sack, set fire to,
> > and jump up and down on the ashes of whilst swearing loud oaths
> > anyone who created a database product with underlying file names
> > such as aaaaaaab.t00 aaaaaaac.t00 aaaaaaad.t00 aaaaabaa.t00 and
> > that is *just for starters*!

> I've attempted to destroy Ingres installations since 1984, and never
> have I found a real good reason to mess with the underlying files in
> a way that I need to know which file(s) is for which table.

Well, several ppl have mentioned this "why does it matter?", and answers are:

1 ) It is occasionaly useful to hack these files about during

    nefarious recovery, bodging, or investigative activities.     I have had to resort to this hacking a couple of times,     but the naming convention doesn't really matter (you can     look up the file name in the db anyway) in this case.

2 ) There is an O/S issue, at least with SunOS 5.x. The DNLC

    uses a hashing algorithm utilising three values, which are     the entry name, name length, and a pointer to the vnode of     the parent directory. It is inefficient when confronted by     lots of names of similar length and all starting with the     same letter, and searching for a name in a directory is     "expensive".

> Now with Oracle, you have segments that are mapped into tablespaces
> that are comprised of 1 to many files. How does that seem any better?

Is this analogous to the .t00 .t01 extensions for tables in different locations? Having read the above sentence several times, I'm not sure that I understand it (that's Oracle!).

Richard.

--
My University newsfeed is erratic :. post+e-mail to be sure I receive
your msg.