Re: Naming Convention for Columns

From: Michael Leo <mleo_at_cariboulake.com>
Date: 1998/03/17

Richard Yates <r.j.yates_at_open.ac.uk> writes:

[clip]

> Pshaw, you think that's something? I'd personally sack, set fire to,
> and jump up and down on the ashes of whilst swearing loud oaths
> anyone who created a database product with underlying file names
> such as aaaaaaab.t00 aaaaaaac.t00 aaaaaaad.t00 aaaaabaa.t00 and
> that is *just for starters*!
>
> Ooh-err. Or something.
>
> Richard.

I've attempted to destroy Ingres installations since 1984, and never have I found a real good reason to mess with the underlying files in a way that I need to know which file(s) is for which table.

Now with Oracle, you have segments that are mapped into tablespaces that are comprised of 1 to many files. How does that seem any better?

Cheers,

Michael Leo mleo_at_cariboulake.com mal_at_visi.com Caribou Lake Software http://www.cariboulake.com Java/RDBMS/Ingres Solutions St. Paul, Minnesota (612) 323-9713

I DARE you to ask me about our Java solutions ... Received on Tue Mar 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CST