Re: Pinning Packages

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/03/13

A copy of this was sent to "Joe Babaloo" <jsuriol_at_dsams.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:37:44 -0500, you wrote:

>What does Oracle do to memory when it pins packages. Are the memory
>pages in which
>packages reside locked so they cannot be swapped out? What system calls
>does oracle use pin
>those packages?

It pins the package in the SGA so that Oracle won't swap them out of the SGA. It does not pin the memory at the OS level. Its predominantly used to avoid heap fragmentation caused by paging large pl/sql routines in and out of the SGA.

From the spec of the dbms_shared_pool package:

  procedure keep(name varchar2, flag char DEFAULT 'P');

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Mar 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CST