ORA-12500

From: Douglas Van Horn <dvanhorn_at_facstall.wisc.edu>
Date: 1998/03/18

Recently two of my users got ORA-12500 errors when they tried to login when the server was extremely busy. The error was not repeated for either user after the server "quieted down". I'm still curious about the error however. In the process of collecting information, I ran across this:

>ORA-12500 TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

>Cause: The process of starting up a dedicated server process failed.
The executable could not be found or the >environment may be set up incorrectly.

>Action: Turn on tracing at the ADMIN level and reexecute the
operation.Verify that the ORACLE Server executable is >present and has execute permissions enabled. Ensure that the ORACLE environment is specified correctly in >LISTENER.ORA. If error persists, contact Worldwide Customer Support.

My question is this. What does turning on tracing at the ADMIN level mean? I speculate they mean tracing at the operating system level, but I would like confirmation. Our OS is AIX. TIA!

Douglas Van Horn, University of Wisconsin System Administration dvanhorn_at_ccmail.uwsa.edu Received on Wed Mar 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST