Re: Tuning the import buffer parameter

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/11

You are effectively increasing the amount of data that can be loaded per commit, which is why you see better performance with larger buffer sizes.

However, make sure you have sufficient *free, real memory* and that no other applications need some of that memory before you start running very large buffer sizes, else the whole lot will start paging.

There is also a cut-off in terms of performance improvements you'll see with progressively larger buffer sizes. Test your loads to find the 'sweet-spot' for your system.

Steve Phelan.