Re: HELP - Login not possible sometimes

From: PD Miller <news_watcher_at_caribdata.no_spam.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/08

In article <34fe6170.0_at_info.xpoint.at>, "Heber Ferraz-Leite" <H.Ferraz-Leite_at_fsc.at> wrote:

> Hi,
> We have and Oracle 7.1.6 database running on a Motorola Unix System V
> Release 4 machine. Actually we have that configuration on five different
> machines. We have some scripts running sql queries periodically, and
> storing the results in some tables. We do statistics on the data in that
> way.
> On one of the machines we have the problem that the script sometimes can
> not log in to the database. It says "oracle not available" and quits.
> This it does although we are 100% sure the database is running, since it
> runs 24h a day. The machine it happens on is the one we know to be the
> one with the biggest workload.
> I've tried setting up the number of processes in the init.ora file, but
> have had no success with that. Does anybody have any idea what else to
> try ?
> --
> Heber Ferraz-Leite
> H.Ferraz-Leite_at_fsc.at

This sounds very much like a kernel parameter problem. Being unfamiliar with Motorola's implementation, look for limits on maximum processes, maximum files open, etc. The error you describe will be returned when a new server process cannot be started to handle a new connection.

Hope this will help

PD Miller
Carib Data Limited
www.caribdata.demon.co.uk Received on Sun Mar 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST