Re: Shutdown Abort and Backup

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: 1998/03/02

"Doug Burns" <dougburns_at_email.msn.com> wrote:

<snip>
]So, why do Oracle insist on a clean shutdown before a backup. Won't a backup
]taken after a shutdown abort contain files in the same state as a database
]after a power failure? Are Oracle suggesting that a database might not be
]re-startable after a SHUTDOWN ABORT?

<snip>

We lost a 7.0.16 database after changing the oratab to N and shutting down the box without shutting down the database first. The database was not running in archive log mode and could not be recovered except from a prior cold backup.

I do use SHUTDOWN ABORT on 7.1.6 to 7.3.3 databases and haven't had a problem (yet, now that I've said that, I know what will happen...)

--
 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.     (OO)