Shutdown Abort and Backup

From: Doug Burns <dougburns_at_email.msn.com>
Date: 1998/03/01

After years I still don't have a good technical answer to the following ....

Assumptions

  1. In the event of a power failure, the information in the online redo log files will allow automatic instance recovery to take place
  2. Likewise, in the event of a SHUTDOWN ABORT, smon will perform instance recovery on STARTUP

(These two assumptions are based on every example I have seen, but I would be interested in any experiences which contradict my own)

Question

So, why do Oracle insist on a clean shutdown before a backup. Won't a backup taken after a shutdown abort contain files in the same state as a database after a power failure? Are Oracle suggesting that a database might not be re-startable after a SHUTDOWN ABORT?

I'm asking this question because I have never had a convincing answer before now
and because there seems to be a flaw in the logic of the gospel ;-) I would really love
to get a decent debate going on this and *all* contributions are welcome.

--
Doug Burns

Certified Oracle DBA