Re: NT striping dangerous with Oracle 7 or 8?

From: <bdurrett_at_ccci.org>
Date: 1998/03/02

> NT striping is always dangerous. Try the Raid striping at the hardware
> level. Also make sure that you have battery backups on the raid controllers.
>
> If power is lost there are many points of failure even if make sure that you
> have battery backups. Make sure you have a good backup strategy implemented.

Thanks for your reply. Our plan is to use hardware mirroring and NT striping over the mirrored drives. The HP Netraid cards we are using will not allow us a hardware mirrored and striped array big enough so we are trying a combination of hardware and software raid. I guess the "engineer" we were talking to thought NT would write cache the NT writes if we used striping. A person from Oracle confirmed that Oracle doesn't cache writes.

I am concerned about the trustworthyness of our battery backups and whether we should set the cards to write-back instead of write-through to speed writes.